When I was a wild cat in NYC and raising Hell on a routine basis I would cleanse myself of the intoxicants of a late night by drinking a nasty little cup of volcanic ash for breakfast. Nowadays as a devoted yogi and mother I have little time for late nights or ‘extracurriculars’ but toxins are still flooding my system in the form of second hand smoke, truck fumes etc. Therefore, every ten days or so I drink my volcanic ash and hold off for the day on taking vitamins or nutraceuticals.
A volcanic detoxifier—Bentonite, a medicinal powdered clay (also known as montmorillonite), derives from deposits of weathered volcanic ash. It is one of the most effective natural intestinal detoxifying agents available and has been recognized as such for centuries by native peoples around the world. Liquid clay contains minerals that, once inside the gastrointestinal tract, are able to absorb toxins and deliver mineral nutrients to an impressive degree. Liquid clay is inert which means it passes through the body undigested.
Technically, the clay first adsorbs toxins (heavy metals, free radicals, pesticides), attracting them to its extensive surface area where they adhere like flies to sticky paper; then it absorbs the toxins, taking them in the way a sponge mops up a kitchen counter mess. Continue reading