I have become a tad obsessed with ginger of late because I have been reading so many Deepak Chopra’s books. His references to Ayurvedic healing brought me to the many benefits of ginger. I add it to cookies, soups, and freshly squeezed juices. Here are six reasons why you should buy some ginger immediately!
- Low libido? Try adding a slap of gingery to a bowl of soup or a fresh juice. Ayurvedic texts credit ginger with aphrodisiac properties. I juice ginger regularly and I can confirm my mojo operates at high levels…
- Lab experiments presented at the 97th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer, by Dr Rebecca Lui and her colleagues from the University of Michigan, showed that gingerols, the active phytonutrients in ginger, kill ovarian cancer cells by inducing apoptosis (programmed cell death) and autophagocytosis (self-digestion). Ginger extracts have been shown to have both antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor effects on cells. To investigate the latter, Dr Liu examined the effect of a whole ginger extract containing 5% gingerol on a number of different ovarian cancer cell lines.
- Gingerols, the main active components in ginger and the ones responsible for its distinctive flavor, may also inhibit the growth of human colorectal cancer cells, suggests research presented at the Frontiers in Cancer Prevention Research, a major meeting of cancer experts in 2003.
- Ginger improves the absorption and assimilation of essential nutrients in the body because the gingerols compounds activate the muscular activity in the digestive track and stimulate the chemical reactions in the digestive system. Ginger is the important ingredient used in the traditional Ayurvedic medicines to treat problems with metabolism and digestive system.
- Ginger’s anti-vomiting action has been shown to be very useful in reducing the nausea and vomiting of pregnancy, even the most severe form, hyperemesis gravidum, a condition which usually requires hospitalization. Unlike anti-vomiting drugs, which can cause severe birth defects, ginger is extremely safe, and only a small dose is required. Also, ginger reduces all symptoms associated with motion sickness including dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and cold sweating.
- The potent anti-inflammatory compounds gingerols are believed to explain why so many people with osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis experience reductions in their pain levels and improvements in their mobility when they consume ginger regularly. In addition, anti-inflammatories like ginger slow aging in the body!
Follow me in the top left corner for a daily (usually!) anti-aging tip. You too can be as luscious as a goddess and as ageless as a vampire! Check out my ebook on amazon… The Ultimate Guide to Anti-Aging.