If you are purchasing a pre-cut watermelon that has already been sliced into halves or quarters, choose the flesh that is deepest in color and lacks any white streaking. If the watermelon is seeded, the seeds should also be deep in color, or white.
When purchasing a whole, uncut watermelon, there are several features to you’ll want to evaluate. The first is its weight. A fully ripened watermelon will feel heavy for its size. Heaviness in a watermelon is a good thing because the water content of a watermelon will typically increase along with ripening, and a fully ripened watermelon will be over 90% water in terms of weight, and water is one of the heaviest components in any food.
- Place the watermelon on a cutting board and slice rounds accros about 2.5 centimeters in size.
- With a cookie cutter, cut a round from the centre of each slice and reserve. (cookie cutter size would depend on what size watermelon you would like to serve your guests.)
- Cut out remaining pink watermelon flesh and blend in a blender, strain through a sieve and reserve juice.
- With a toothpick, remove all the seeds from round watermelon slices, you will see when you do this some of the flesh will break loose from the round, what you want is for it to resemble a crown, some artistic improvising might be required.
- For the spiced Syrup: place 1 cup of reserved watermelon juice, star anise & honey in a sauce pan and bring to the boil. Reduce by half. Remove Star anise and add finely grated orange zest to the hot syrup. Add lime juice & allow to cool.
- Cut feta Cheese into small cubes & reserve.
- Toast flaked almonds until light golden brown.
- To assemble: Place watermelon crown in the center of each plate/bowl.
- Drizzle with spiced syrup and arrange feta cubes, caper berries, toasted almonds.
- Finally garnish with baby rocket leaves and aromatic herbs and Enjoy!