Have you ever seen a happy jogger? Don’t you always feel happy it’s not you when you see a sweaty, brow-furrowed runner loping along with a determined, martyr-like expression in their eye? Well rest happy ladies – I am about to give you the perfect excuse to never jog again!
Hard-core aerobic activity creates a significant demand on your body. Whether you are running, biking, using the StairMaster or taking intensive spinning classes – continuous aerobic stress brings on degeneration and aging. The reason for this is that initially your body will use glucose for energy but fairly quickly your body will need to start consuming healthy body tissue like collagen and muscle for fuel.
There are two results for this:
- Your muscles are being broken down and you are now obstructing the exercise-induced-growth hormone-release (EIGR) response in the body – so you are not getting growth hormone from aerobic activity. Muscles accumulate glutamine – an amino acid which is a major booster of growth hormone production. If muscle tissue wears down so does stored glutamine and the production of growth hormone. Thus, as muscle is reduced, the skin has less firmness and sags more. Without anti-aging hormones in the body you have accelerated the aging process.
- Because the body is consuming itself and EIGR is blocked, the stress causes the body to release a bad hormone: cortisol. Cortisol also blocks the human growth hormone – the most important good and anti-aging hormone – insuring brittle bones, thinning hair, wrinkles, loss of skin elasticity and collagen.
In order to maximize EIGR you should:
- Work out three days, rest one and work out three again
- Do yoga or Pilates and some light resistance repetitions (3-4 pound barbells) for variety
- A thirty to sixty minute work-out will suffice as long as you are committed to being consistent. Workouts that are too long will cause the body to eat into muscles fiber.
- Exercise a minimum of two hours after a meal – exercising on an empty stomach is great for fat burning so morning work-outs are great
- Drinking green tea and lemon before working out will increase your metabolism