Power Foods can cause explosions of pleasure in our mouths while making our skin firmer and plumper at the same time. If you are serious about anti-aging you are going to have to be more vigilant about what you eat – and where you eat. (Since where is linked to the what!). Even in the best restaurants you have no idea where the food is coming from and if it is organic or wild – or, more likely, polluted and farm-raised i.e rife with antibiotics etc.
The solution? Cook more. Yes, you are going to have to start going to the market, buying new knives and a blender – and, if you are really serious, a juicer.
Get started in your kitchen by throwing a few items away and replacing them:
– Teflon and non-stick pans – replace with iron skillets
– Plastic storage containers – replace with glass – plastic is riddled with a chemical called BPA. Once it is heated it is released. Putting hot food in plastic causes BPA to be released into your food.
– Blenders with plastic containers – replace with glass
– Plastic spatulas etc – replace with metal
– Aluminum foil for cooking – replace with baking parchment paper
– Sodas – replace with water flavored with lemon
– Get rid of anything in an aluminum can – can lead to endocrine system disasters
– Any pre-made juice. If you haven’t squeezed it today, it has oxidized (been exposed to oxygen and nutrient content degraded). Instead, buy a simple orange juice squeezer or a wonderful twin engine juice like my fav – the Samson Ultra Juicer. This machine can get juice out of a broccoli stem.
– Pre-packaged, preservative riddled-meals – to be replaced with fresh food
– Toss the pre-cut fruits and veggies. They’ve oxidized and lost nutrient power. Eat whole foods – and eat them entirely once you have cut into them. That pre-cut melon you bought int he deli could have been there for 3 days.
– Pitch food that has been in the fridge more than 2 days.
– Order an online water test to see how chemically loaded your water tap water is. You will need to filter your water either by buying a Britta or Pur water jug or by putting a water filter directly on the tap. See the Environmental Working Group’s – Updated Water Filter Guide: http://www.ewg.org/report/ewgs-water-filter-buying-guide
– Pitch meat, fish, eggs, milk (all animal products) that you have no idea where it came from i.e. an organic farm vs non-organic for meat and dairy. For fish – avoid bio and go for wild only or focus on the smaller fish like sardines, mackerel and anchovies (try fresh for less salt) – which have fewer levels of contaminants.
– For vegetables check out the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) amazing list that showcases the fruits/veggies most vulnerable to pesticides and fertilizers – and therefore, critical to buy organic – and the fruits/veggies that are more naturally impervious to chemicals. http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary.php. Try to buy seasonally and organic. Buy small amounts in order to make sure you will eat them. You will have to commit to going to the market more often!
– Pitch sugar and replace with Stevia, honey, agave, rice syrup, maple syrup
– Toss any fried food – chips etc.
– Replace as much cow products as you can with goat and sheep as it is more easily digestible.
– Pitch foods with transfats (highly inflammatory and thereby a Youth Killer) – see this link for a list of the Top 10: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/top-10-foods-with-trans-fats
– Pitch all white flour products – white starch turns to sugar and will age you quickly (white rice, bread, potatoes etc). You can replace with quinoa, millet, buckwheat, spelt, barley flour
– Toss the microwave. Radiation heating changes the molecular composition of food. You want everything that enters your body from now on to be in its natural, unadulterated state!
– Pitch all chemical cleaning products. See the EWG’s guide to Healthy Cleaning: http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners
– Toss the booze baby – sugar, alcohol – all MAJOR Youth Killers!